SciTech-Service offers outsourced technology development. We cover biomass processing in the areas of pulp manufacture (paper, board, dissolving, fluff and high-yield grades), viscose production and other regenerated cellulose products as well as biobased chemicals.
- concept level process design and evaluation
- planning and execution of laboratory studies
- 2ndopinion services for technical concepts
- mill conversion and improvement services
Our mission is to be a complementing resource for the internal resources of industrial players. We achieve this by having strong in-house expertise, by running our own reactor laboratory, by co-operating with the best in the business and by staying curious towards the world around us.
As we have been in providing these services since 1983, it is very likely that we can generate the solution You are looking for.
SciTech-Service provides development, consulting and laboratory services in the following areas
PULP PRODUCTION FOR PAPER AND BOARD APPLICATIONS
• Evaluation and testing of technology upgrades, raw-material changes
• Identification of debottlenecking opportunities
• Fiber quality improvements
• Lab piloting services from chips to final pulp
BIOMASS FRACTIONATION, BIOREFINING
• Conceptual evaluation of technologies and processes
• Technology readiness upgrading services up to H2020/EARTO Level 7
• Proof of concept and pre-engineering lab tests
• Lignin separation and processing
• Hemicellulose rich prehydrolysis liquor recovery and processing
• Soap and tall oil recovery optimization
• Turpentine recovery
DISSOLVING PULP PRODUCTION
• Pulp mill conversion assessments
• Dissolving pulp quality optimization (viscose and high-grade pulps)
• Pulp reactivity tests by Treiber method
VISCOSE DOPE & SPINNING TESTS
• Dope preparation, filtration and spinning
• Dope recipe optimization (pulp specific)
• Spinning conditions optimization (pulp/dope specific)
• Comparison of mill vs. optimized lab/mill process assessment
CELLULOSIC TEXTILE “KNOW-HOW” PACKAGES
• Fire retardant viscose fibre manufacture
• Proprietary Paper Pulp Viscose (PPV) technology licensing
PULP/CELLULOSE SUITABILITY FOR VISCOSE MANUFACTURE
• Testing of raw-material suitability as such
• Testing of suitability through Paper Pulp Viscose (PPV) technology
PULPING: From laboratory to industrial scale
The flagship project for SciTech-Service was the work to develop the SuperBatch displacement batch kraft pulping technology.
The work spanned from helping develop the original idea, through extensive laboratory tests to implementing the process on industrial scale. The biggest tangible results of the work visible today are:
• an industrial process marketed by Valmet that is used to produce >10Mt paper and specialty dissolving pulp annually
• the SciTech-Service laboratory in Rauma
A similar upscaling was later repeated in the form of developing a novel non-wood (agricultural straw) pulping technology from idea to industrial readiness.
VISCOSE TEXTILES: From idea to garment
In the area of cellulosic textiles, SciTech-Service offered the know-how and laboratory services needed for the Australian company Nanollose to produce a demonstration textile from bacterial cellulose raw-material.
Nanollose has technology to produce bacterial cellulose for the use in viscose textile making. SciTech provided Nanollose with the services needed to make the viscose filaments, spin the thread and knit the actual fabric for a dress.
The project took a mere 6 weeks from first contact to having a dress to present at an international conference.
13.7.16 | Heikki Hassi Bringing innovation from an idea to business takes skilled management and complementarity
13.7.16 | Heikki Hassi Whether it’s innovation or an investment project, uncertainty and exposure don’t mix well.
13.7.16 | Heikki Hassi How and why did non-printed digital media take over?
13.7.16 | Heikki Hassi Shall the gigantic subsidies to fossil fuels cease?
28.6.16 | Eric Enqvist Welcome to the bioeconomy in 2016 – we´ve saved you a seat!
13.7.15 | Heikki Hassi Future Outlook of Man Made Cellulosic Fibres
Prof. Panu Tikka, Founder
Dr. in pulping technology. Independent process technology developer, consultant and entrepreneur. Inventor of various pulping processess, such as SuperBatch, FreeFiber.
Eric Enqvist, Managing Partner
Dr. in pulping technology. Specialized in non-wood raw-materials and unconventional pulping methods, co-inventor of FreeFiber process.
Dr. in wood chemistry. Long international experience in pulp & paper, chemical and textile fibre industries.
Dr. in chemical engineering. Specialized in process modeling and industrial pulp bleaching.
MSc. in pulping technology. Specialized in laboratory techniques, manager of SciTech / Experimentis laboratory since 2007
Dr. in dissolving pulp utilization. Specialized in questions regarding dissolving pulp purity and fractionation.
MSc. in paper technology. Specialized in equipment solutions, instrumentation, sensor technology and nano cellulose
Lic. Sc. in chemical engineering. Specialized in biorefining technology evaluations and process engineering.
Eteläesplanadi 22 B 4th floor
00130 Helsinki, Finland
Eric Enqvist, Managing Partner
Phone: +358 40 593 5770
Nina Filpus, Laboratory Manager
Phone: +358 40 549 7448